All I Want For Chanukah
by: Leslie Bunder and Caroline Westbrook - Last updated: 2004-12-03
Its Chanukah time again and that means doughnuts, latkes and presents. With the first night of Chanukah on December 8 (25 Kislev), Something Jewish offers a guide to the coolest presents for all ages this year.
1. Music. Our pick of the best in Jewish music this year includes:
Celebrate Hip-Hop a compilation of Jewish rappers from around the world, including American rapper Remedy, Israeli performer Mook E and British group Emunah.
Milken Archive the first ten albums from this US label, which releases rare and re-interpreted Jewish classical music, have just been released in the UK.
Oy To The World American klezmer band The Klezmonauts re-interpret Christmas songs such as Jingle Bells and Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, but give them a distinctive East European flavour.
2. DVD. The best Jewish-themed DVDs of the year include:
Curb Your Enthusiasm Series 2 Larry David, creator of Seinfeld, stars as himself in this quirky comedy series.
Seinfeld Series 1, 2 and 3 the first three series of this classic sitcom are now out to buy.
Wondrous Oblivion British comedy/drama about a young Jewish boy in 1960s London, who has a fondness for cricket.
3. MP3 player. If you dont fancy splashing out on an iPod, Creative Labs offers some very neat MP3 players. One of the best is the Zen Touch, which comes in an iPod-ish white colour, and offers a massive 20GB hard drive (which means you can store thousands of songs).
Another cool MP3 player is the Zen Micro, which offers 5GB of space, plus built-in radio. It can also be used for recording hours of voice.
4. Gift vouchers. Now is a good time to buy gift vouchers because come the January therell be bargains galore in the shops (as theyll have their sales and clearance offers). Why not choose some John Lewis vouchers, or go online and buy some from Amazon?
5. Broadband. Upgrade someone from an ultra-slow dial-up to a super-fast Broadband, for around £20 a month. There are plenty of providers out there, including AOL, Tiscali and Demon.
6. A new car. If youre feeling ultra-generous, then Citroens C4 is one of the best new cars around. It looks good, performs well and is comfortable plus it has such unique features as an in-built air freshener.
7. Books. Treat yourself to some reading matter, such as:
Hitchhiking To Heaven the autobiography of Rabbi Lionel Blue.
The Secret Purposes comedian David Baddiel gets serious with this World War II drama, loosely based on some family experiences.
Everything Is Illuminated Jonathan Safran Foers ultra-quirky tale of Jewish author in search of his roots. Its been out a while, but if you havent read it yet, nows your chance.
The Grim Grotto the latest book in the best-selling Lemony Snicket series is an underwater adventure.
8. Give some money to charity. Chanukah isnt all about receiving, its about giving too, and now is a good time to help others, either by giving money or your time.