Print | Email  

Arrest over British murder

by: Efrat Weiss, Ynetnews - Last updated: 2005-10-11

scene of stabbing

scene of stabbing

Israeli police have solved the stabbing attack that took place in August in Jerusalem's Old City, in which Shmuel Eliyahu Mett, a British student of the Mir Yeshiva, was murdered. A man identified with Hamas carried out the attack in revenge for the throwing of a pig's head into a Jaffa mosque.

Three Mir Yeshiva students were attacked and stabbed on August 24 in Jerusalem's Old City alleys. Mett died of his wounds and another yeshiva student was injured. The third student was very lightly wounded in the attack.

Following the incident, an investigation was launched by the Jerusalem District Police and the Shin Bet. On Saturday, Hebron resident Abed al-Muaz Jueba, 43, married and father of two, was detained.

In a Shin Bet interrogation, Jueba admitted that he had committed the stabbing attack on his own behalf.

Jueba, who works as a shoemaker, is considered to be extremely religious and identifies with Hamas. He said that following the throwing of a pig's head into the Hassan Bek Mosque in Jaffa on 19 August, he decided to murder a settler. He claimed that he had also been furious after settlers drew a picture of a pig on a Hebron mosque wall.

On 24 August, Jueba took a bus from Hebron to Abu Dis, and then continued to Jerusalem's Old city without any problem through an area where there is no fence. He arrived at Nablus Gate, had a cup of coffee, bought a butcher's knife and went to pray at a mosque.

He then hid at Jaffa Gate, and when the three yeshiva students passed by he stabbed them. He returned to Nablus Gate, and when the Old City was closed, he entered the mosque, washed off the blood stains, prayed and returned to his home.

According to the Defense establishment, Jueba admitted to the suspicions related to him, reconstructed the incident and said that he had no regrets and would commit the attack again if he could.

"I decided to carry out the stabbing on the holy land of Jerusalem, and preferred to die near the al-Aqsa Mosque," he said.

Defence forces eventually managed to capture Jueba after his picture was recorded on cameras surrounding the Old City.

On Tuesday, the Jerusalem Magistrate's Court extended Jueba's remand by 10 days.

Reproduced with permission: Ynetnews