Attack girls found guilty
by: Leslie Bunder - Last updated: 2007-01-11
Two 14-year-old girls who viciously attacked a Jewish teen on a bus in Mill Hill, north west London last August have been found guilty.
The girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was 12-years-old at the time of the brutal assault was travelling with a friend on a single decker 303 bus when a gang of girls got on the bus and asked if they were English or Jewish.
When the two girls tried to leave the bus, one of the gang stopped them and then had personal items including a bracelet stolen and the victim was hit around the face with a mobile phone as well as being slapped and kicked.
Despite the incident going on, other passengers at the front of the bus did not help.
"All I remember is her stamping on my face. Me and my friend were screaming. Then I blacked out. There were four people on the bus who didn't do anything," the girl said two weeks after the attack. "There were people there acting like nothing happened. I can't believe anyone could be like that."
The father of the victim expressed his satisfaction that justice had been done. "The court has done a wonderful job," said the father.
But despite the girl being Jewish and the attackers specifically asking about her origin, the Crown Prosecution Service decided not to proceed on the case as race hate.
The father has also expressed concern that the racial issue was not raised and "the CPS was unable to find evidence for racially aggravated charges".
Since the attack, the girl has been unable to travel on buses and has also changed schools.
The two 14-year-olds, who also cannot be named for legal reasons are due to be sentenced on February 12.