Autumn Green Salad
Last updated: 2003-08-31
a delightful green salad
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 6- 8 people
Make this salad using fresh beans, peas and mint for the best results. However frozen peas and beans will make a very tasty salad. Serve this dish as an accompaniment to fish, vegetable pies, pasta or risotto dishes.
300g peas - fresh or frozen
200g broad beans
2 avocados - stone removed
250g fresh rocket leaves
150g low fat yoghurt or non-dairy yoghurt
Zest of half a lemon and 2 teaspoons of juice
1 garlic clove- finely chopped
Bunch of fresh mint - finely chopped
1 teaspoon maple syrup or brown sugar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Toasted sesame seeds
1) Cook the peas, drain and set aside.
2) Cook the broad beans, remove the skins and set aside.
3) Slice the avocado in to strips.
4) Mix all the dressing ingredients together and refrigerate.
5) Combine the peas, beans and dressing and refrigerate until ready to use.
6) Place the sesame seeds into a dry frying pan. Cook until they start to turn golden. Turn the light off immediately their colour changes as they continue to cook in a hot pan and burnt sesame seeds taste bitter!
7) Assemble by lining a plate with the rocket leaves and avocado. Drizzle with some of the dressing. Add the beans and peas and top with the dressing.
To serve the stylish way:
Sprinkle over toasted sesame seeds and serve immediately.