SJ Super 7
by: Leslie Bunder and Caroline Westbrook - Last updated: 2004-05-04
Ben Stiller and Rachel Weisz
The seven most amazing things you will discover in Jewish life and culture. This week: Jews who rock - Klezmatics come to the UK, Eastenders gets new Jewish actress and Ben Stiller and Rachel Weisz in most Jewish film of all time.
1 Jews who rock: Something Jewish checked out New York klezmer outfit The Klezmatics in London this week, when they played a rare live show at The Spitz in Spitalfields Market. A packed crowd partied to the sounds of their most recent album Rise Up! as well as other favourites.
2. New Jew on the block: following in the footsteps of Leonard Fenton, Ron Moody, Andrew Paul and the actor who played Felix The Barber, actress and performer Tracy-Ann Oberman has become the latest in a short line to Jews to grace Walford by appearing in EastEnders. However, Oberman doesnât play a nice Jewish girl; rather, Dirty Denâs latest flame who goes by the rather unkosher name of Chrissie.
3. Most Jewish film of all time: Britainâs finest and sexiest Jewish actress Rachel Weisz now appears in possibly the most Jewish movie ever made â Envy. The film, which features fellow Semitic stars Ben Stiller and Jack Black , and is directed by Barry Levinson, is about two friends who become enemies when one becomes a millionaire inventor. It opens in the UK this summer.
4. Frying tonight: taking the initials KFC and giving them a kosher spin, the aptly named Kosher Fried Chicken is the latest restaurant to grace Londonâs kosher scene. Recently opened in Golders Green, the eaterie drew a packed crowd in its first week and looks set to become the staple fare of those looking for an alternative to the obligatory shwarma. When asked about the use of the name KFC, a real KFC spokesperson said, âNo comment.â
5. Gladiatorâs kind gesture: Oscar-winning actor Russell Crowe lived up to his mensch image from Gladiator, when he donated money to help rebuild a Jewish school in Montreal, which had been damaged in an anti-Semitic attack. Crowe, who was appalled by the incident, wants the donation to be used to rebuild the schoolâs library.
6. Joking around: website jewish.net (our sister site and shameless plug), has just launched a new Jewish jokes website at http://jokes.jewish.net. Visitors to the site can find Jewish mother jokes, blue-ish jokes and some Israeli jokes. They can rate their jokes that are already there as well as submitting their own
7. Spielbergâs Olympic task: Fans of Steven Spielberg have plenty to look forward to from the director, who announced this week he intends to make a film based on the tragic events at the 1972 Munich Olympics, when 11 members of the Israeli team were kidnapped and murdered by Palestinian terrorists. These events have already been the subject of a film â the Oscar-winning documentary One Day In September.